Of Poets & Other Abandoned Things: Day 19

Day 19

This poem is dedicated to a man I love very much, a dear friend of mine who recently lost his father.
It's also dedicated to all the people who have had absent fathers, by death or by choice.
Happy Father's Day.



Of Society & Estranged Fathers

Society and estranged fathers.
A tale that many have authored. 

It's a cold night in the middle of winter.
We're all caught up, it's the middle of the semester.
When you told us, we all dropped everything.
I was contemplating if we should bring you some alcohol.
I don't really know what to say of this great loss that I doubt you truly understand.
I don't really know how to be there for you, how to be the right kind of friend.
I don't know what to say.
If I knew, I'd say all the things that would take the pain away.
I don't want you to feel alone. 
I don't want you to have to question why you were abandoned.
That isn't a thing you deserve to go through.
Nobody does, but especially not you.
Your estrangement was something you were willing to rectify.
Bless your soul. But before you could, he died.
& I know you'd never say it.
Admit that you may have all these questions.
I don't have the answers.
None of us do. 
Right now all we know to do is be there for you.

One year later, I want to tell you that you are growing into a man worth being proud of. 
I can't wait to see who you become.
I just want to remind you that you are a man with loyalty, royalty in his DNA.
Despite the things he didn't do and didn't say.
I want you to know that you're strong, & I say this knowing that you're sometimes afraid
That you aren't enough.
I just want to remind you that you are worthy of every drop of love
That this world has to offer.
In case this is a thing you ever doubt.
Look at the people around you who love you without hesitation.

Comments