Of Poets & Other Abandoned Things: Day 15

Day 15

So these pictures were take at an abandoned house by Rubben Mabuku.
He's a strictly black and white photographer and he told me that he doesn't do photo shoots, he does concept shoots.
He wanted to capture me as a poet and he prefers picking places still in construction because of the varying textures but I had different ideas for the location. 
When I got the pictures back, they did what he's out here to do - they inspired me, gave me a concept to work with because yes, sometimes my poetry is happy and is for the purpose of healing.
But sometimes we have to fall apart before we can start again.




She II

She is her own muse, her own sunlight.
She is divine.
She now owned herself in her own right 
Even in a world that told her that white is right.
Even in a world that told her that told her that she rather shouldn't write.
She was herself in a world that told her to just be somebody's wife.

She is a poet who also loves science.
She's black and always in a state of defiance.
Refusing to be silenced.
A strong woman with the heart of a lion
Even when she wasn't strong, even when she was frightened.
She's definitely complex
Maybe even pompous.
But a black woman like that is definitely interesting.

Comments