Of Poets & Other Abandoned Things: Day 12

Day 12

So these pictures were take at an abandoned house by Rubben Mabuku.
He's a strictly black and white photographer and he told me that he doesn't do photo shoots, he does concept shoots.
He wanted to capture me as a poet and he prefers picking places still in construction because of the varying textures but I had different ideas for the location. 
When I got the pictures back, they did what he's out here to do - they inspired me, gave me a concept to work with because yes, sometimes my poetry is happy and is for the purpose of healing.
But sometimes we have to fall apart before we can start again.


Of Loss

I'm not sure if I can talk about myself
Without mentioning my experience of being a black girl in this sexist world.
How everyday this concept of someone I could never be was sold to me
Big boobs, tiny waist, thick booty.
Still booty not too big though, thick lips, no thin lips and still skinny. 
I'm not sure If I can talk about myself
Without mentioning my experience of being a black girl in this white centered world.
How everyday the definition of intelligence
Was shown to me as men who had white skin
Who was I tying to be a writer
In a field where white men are considered the pioneers?
Day in and day out, mass media shoved these concepts down my throat.
In adulthood I have learnt that throwing it back up is the only antidote.

I want to tell lovely stories about some things that I've lost.
Of concepts that were never meant to work 
For a black woman who loves herself and wants to be comfortable with who she is and what she wants to say.
Who wants to do things her own way.
Since I'm already on a mission, since I'm already coming up with my own definitions
Let me tell you the tales of the things I've chosen to leave behind.
Since abandoned is an act that can be committed on both sides.

Comments