Of Poets & Other Abandoned Things: Day 11

Day 11

So these pictures were take at an abandoned house by Rubben Mabuku.
He's a strictly black and white photographer and he told me that he doesn't do photo shoots, he does concept shoots.
He wanted to capture me as a poet and he prefers picking places still in construction because of the varying textures but I had different ideas for the location. 
When I got the pictures back, they did what he's out here to do - they inspired me, gave me a concept to work with because yes, sometimes my poetry is happy and is for the purpose of healing.
But sometimes we have to fall apart before we can start again.


The Poet

So I'm just going to write about the things I know
Come up with my own creative flow
My own way to describe
How to be set on fire and to still survive.
How to be left and deal with still being alive.
I don't want to run from the fact that sometimes I'm dark.
I don't want to hide my disdain for patriarchs.
I don't ever want to act like I'm perfect.
I don't want to be ashamed when I say that even then, I'm still worth it.
I don't want to be politically correct
In a society that's a damn mess.
I don't want to hide how much and how hard I love.
I don't want to be ashamed of traits that I'm void of.
I don't want to hate myself for being dramatic.
I don't want my existence to come with an apology.
I don't want to use big words that sound empty aloud
Because I'm too scared to admit that I'm insecure out loud.
I wish to be deliciously human.
A flower in the process of blooming.
Damn it, I just want to write some poetry.
And even if I write what only one person reads
Just know it will always be more than enough for me.

Comments