Of Poets & Other Abandoned Things: Day 2

Day 2: Poem 2

Hi guys! 
So these pictures were take at an abandoned house by Rubben Mabuku.
He's a strictly black and white photographer and he told me that he doesn't do photo shoots, he does concept shoots.
He wanted to capture me as a poet and he prefers picking places still in construction because of the varying textures but I had different ideas for the location. 
When I got the pictures back, they did what he's out here to do - they inspired me, gave me a concept to work with because yes, sometimes my poetry is happy and is for the purpose of healing.
But sometimes we have to fall apart before we can start again. 


Of Other Abandoned Things

You left your home, the one that you beautifully built.
You left this place where you once lived, maybe once raised children
To fall apart, like it meant nothing.
Do you ever look back and think about it?
Does your new home look the same, does it feel the same?
Do the memories of the one you left sometimes rack your brain?
Do you ever drop by, feel the need to visit? 
I have to ask these questions
As someone who was once somebody's home, who was similarly abandoned.
The both of us still stand, beautiful without the help of anyone.

Of Poets & Other Abandoned Things
Of bad graffiti and leaking ceilings
Still beautiful enough for poetry.

Comments